20:30 PM 15/09/2012
Chúng ta dùng both, either, neither để nói về 2 người hoặc vật:
* Mary has two children. Both are married. (Both = the two children)
* Would you like tea or coffee? You can have either. ( Either = tea or coffee)
* A: Do you want to go to the cinema or the theatre?
B: Neither. I want to stay at home. (Neither = not the cinema or the theatre)
So sánh giữa either và neither:
* A: Would you like tea or coffee?
B: Either. I don’t mind. (= tea or coffee)
B: I don’t want either. (not “I don’t want neither ” )
B: Neither. (= not tea or coffee)
Both/ either/ neither + Noun
Both + plural: Ex: both windows/ books/ children, etc.
Either/ Neither + singular: Ex: either/ neither window/book/child, etc
* Last year I went to Paris and Rome. I like both cities very much.
* First I worked in an office, and later in a shop. Neither job was very interesting.
* There are two ways from here to the station. You can go either way.
Both of…/ either of…/ neither of…
* Neither of my parents is English.
* I haven’t read either of these books.
Bạn có thể nói both (of) the …/both (of) those…/both (of) my …etc
* I like both of those pictures. Or I like both those pictures.
* Both of Ann’s sisters are married. Or Both Ann’s sisters are married.
Both of them/ Neither of us…
* Ann has got two sisters. Both of them are married.
* Tom and I didn’t eat anything. Neither of us was hungry.
* Who are those two people? I don’t know either of them.
Exercises: Put in both/ either/ neither. Use “of” where necessary.
1. Last year I went to Paris and Rome. I liked …cities very much.
2. There were two pictures on the wall. I didn’t like … them
3. It was a good football match. ….teams played well.
4. It wasn’t a good football match. ….teams played well.
5. “Is your friend English or American?” “ ………..She’s Australian”.
6. I invited Diana and Mike to the party but ……..them came.
7. “Which jacket do you prefer, this one or that one?” “I don’t like ………them.”
8. Paula and I didn’t know the time because …….us had a watch.
9. We went away for two days but the weather wasn’t good. It rained on …days.
10. Ann has got two sisters and a brother. …….sisters are married.
2. either of
6. neither of
7. either of
8. neither of
3 Nguyên nhân hạn chế khả năng phát âm khi học tiếng anh của bạn: Bạn thiếu vốn từ vựng, bạn không nhận ra âm, Bạn không biết cấu trúc câu là cụm động từ mà câu đó đang dùng nên không hiểu được ý chính của câu